(Under Section 26(1) (g) of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956)
Ragging is totally prohibited in Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology. The following acts constitute ragging.
1. Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
2. Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which cause or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
3. Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which as the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche or such fresher or any other student;
4. Any senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
5. Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
6. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
7. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
8. Any act or abuse by spoken works, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving prevented pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill for actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
9. Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure of showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student. Administrative action in the event of ragging
The university shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed herein under :
a) The Anti-Ragging Committee of the college shall take an appropriate decision, in regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
b) The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature of gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely;
i) Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
ii) Withholding / withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits.
iii) Debarring from appearing in any test / examination or other evaluation process.